The town San Donato in Poggio has Roman origins and it has been mentioned as a castle till 1033. What nowadays remain of it are some parts of the wall, two town entrances (Porta Fiorentina and Porta Senese) and some towers, like the bell tower called "Campanone"
and the "Torrino", which dominates over the valley. The town centre still has its original and well preserved structure with the typical lanes bending through the houses. In the main square stand the Renaissance Palazzo Malaspina and the gothic church of Santa Maria della Neve.